Book Review - Thin Love by Eden Butler

20 Sept 2014

4 WILDCAT STARS! ★★★★

 


"This entire piece is the story of my life, Keira; who I was, what I lost, what I want to have back and it all starts here. It starts with you, Wildcat." 

This book definitely reminded me how good angsty stories should be written and let me tell you, there were just plenty of 'em angst coming from all directions! Also I'm such an angst whore, so this one really worked for me although it drove my sanity up the wall so many times.

********

Thin Love is a second chance romance story that revolves around Keira and Kona, whose story will be told in two parts in the book. Part 1 depicting their love story in college and Part 2 taking place 16 years later where they are reunited once more after a tragic event that tore them apart. Majority of the book takes place in Part 1, introducing us to the young hearts of Keira and Kona.

Keira, the 18-year old girl who is studious and ambitious; her attitude mainly driven by the weight of her overbearing mother who cares very little about her true desires. Seeking escape from her mum's suffocating grasp, Keira focuses on getting good grades and mostly channels her thoughts through music. Keira was on a straight path filled with certainty until Kona came into her life.

Kona, the charming campus manwhore is only good at one thing; and that's playing football. Beneath that tough exterior also lies a boy who silently carries the weight of his own by having to prove himself worthy of his mother's and coach's expectations. He doesn't do relationships but his world is sent into a turmoil when he unexpectedly gets paired up with Keira for an assignment.

It was hate at first sight for these two but as they slowly tear down each other's walls, their love was nothing short of wild and intensely passionate.



********
Honestly I can't remember the last time I got so worked up reading a book that it made me want to leap into the book and start doing vicious things to everyone! There were some borderline insanity moments that I thought I was going to have to murder someone or as my book bestie, Penelope puts it, "go burning down everyone's houses" LOL!

I'm telling you ladies, that's seriously how crazy the angst is in this one. Keira & Kona's love story will suck you in so badly and put you through a whirlwind of emotions as you stand alongside watching their explosive relationship. I hated them but yet I loved them. I wanted to smack them multiple times but yet I wanted to give them cuddles and hugs.



The push and pull dynamic between these two will have you begging for your sanity throughout the book. There was this undeniable sizzling chemistry between them and their wild attraction towards each other will grip you so tightly as you read. The flirty and witty banters were executed well to balance out the angst and I love how Keira totally sassed Kona during their initial encounters. Love it when my heroine got balls!

I couldn't remember the last time I felt so invested in a romance story where love drowns out all logic and reasoning, where love can be so thick yet toxic at the same time. Where two young souls are consumed by love so powerful that could be so destructive.

“I don’t want easy. I want the impossible. I want love so thick, I drown in it; it’s the only thing worth having."

Their love story was of all sorts; dangerously explosive, beautifully tragic and absolutely heart-wrenching.



"When you think of me, see my face, hear my name, you’ll only remember that I loved you. You’ll remember that my love for you was never thin. You’ll remember this moment because it will be the biggest regret of your life.”

********

This could have been a 5-stars winner for me if it hadn't been for the writing style of the book. I'm never really a fan of 3rd person POV and the switching of past/present tenses threw me off way too many times while reading. There were also times that I had to re-read a paragraph to understand if it was Kona or Keira speaking and that slightly disrupted my reading flow. However, luckily I was way too emotionally invested in this story that it didn't bother me too much.

Another would be that I wanted more insight on both Kona & Keira's mothers. They were equally both so spiteful that I was hoping there would be some sort of explanation to justify their behaviours.



Overall, Thin Love is an emotionally charged and angst-filled love story. A story of how two young uninhibited souls could loved so ferociously that lead them to make terrible mistakes. A story of a second chance at true love.

Highly recommend it to everyone who enjoys a story with angst galore.

Special thanks to my lovely ladies, Penelope and Supreet for our Buddy Read! ❤️❤️ I'm glad we had each other to keep our sanities intact while reading! ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment