Book Review - Insidious (Tales from the Dark Side #1) by Aleatha Romig

23 Oct 2014


4 INSIDIOUS STARS! ★★★★


PURCHASE ON AMAZON: CLICK HERE

When a powerful man is willing to risk everything for his own satisfaction, only one woman can beat him at his own game: his wife. Or so she thinks… 

“Let’s start with you calling me Stewart. Formalities seem unnecessary.” 

 Stewart Harrington is rich, gorgeous, and one of the most powerful men in Miami. He always gets what he wants. Anything is available to him for the right price. 


 Even me. 


 Being the wife of a mogul comes with all the perks, but being Mrs. Stewart Harrington comes with a few special requirements. I’ve learned to keep a part of myself locked away as my husband watches me submit to his needs. But the more he demands of me, the more beguiled he becomes and that’s to my advantage. So I keep fulfilling his fantasies and following his rules because he doesn’t know that what he’s playing is really my game. And winning is everything, right? 


 INSIDIOUS is a stand-alone novel and the first Tales from the Dark Side title by ALEATHA ROMIG. 


 **Due to the dark and explicit nature of this book, it is recommended for mature audiences only. **


{Read more for my 4-stars review!}

***************************
My Review

  
"At one time I was that unwilling participant, dragged into the depths of malevolence. That was years ago. I've learned my lessons well and played my role. No longer to be a victim, today I'm insidious."
Ever since I picked up Aleatha's Consequences series a year ago, I've been eagerly waiting for her to give us another taste of her brilliance. If you've read that series, you will know that this author is capable of some of the most twisted mindfuckery you've had the pleasure of reading. 

******

Insidious tells the tale of Victoria Conway. Married to Stewart Harrington at the age of 18 to a then 40-year old Stewart, the innocent yet strong-headed Victoria had no idea what she signed up entirely for when she agreed to marry him under a contract to settle her family debt and protect her siblings. 

For 10 years of their marriage; to most people, she's the wife of a successful, mega-rich business tycoon. But to a small handful, Victoria is forced to take upon a role more than just being a doting wife and that is to submit to her husband's darkest desires.
"As Mrs Harrington, your pleasure, as well as your pain, will work together toward my pleasure. You'll be my wife and my whore."
*******

Without spoiling away too much about the book, I will just say that Aleatha Romig still brings out one of the best suspenseful, erotic stories around. Whatever this woman writes, I'd read it in a heartbeat. This one was no exception and I simply could not put down this book once I started the first page.

Insidious will bring you on a thrilling, dark ride that continuously keeps you on the edge as your mind starts to spin theories faster than you realize. Lines will be blurred and nothing is always as it seems, it will leave you guessing from start till end.

 

Although some people may be put-off by her detailed and lengthy writings, I for one, am a huge fan of it. To simply enjoy her books, one must appreciate that the devil is in the details. After Consequences, I have no doubt in her storytelling skills and with this one, she will suck you into this world of games, seduction, deceit and revenge. Oh and trust me, her erotica scenes will make you wish you're not in public reading it.

 

As much as I loved her writings, however this read wasn't entirely a winner as I felt that the answers we needed were all crammed up in the last quarter of the book. I was hoping for an expansion on some of the revelations we learnt but alas, this is a standalone novel, so I guessed all loose ends had to be tied up quickly and neatly. Also, the last 10% definitely took me by surprise and I wished I could have understand better why it went in that direction.

********

Overall, Insidious still proves to be a worthy read if you're looking for a dark, edgy thrilling read with a tinge of romance plus a good dose of sinfully erotic scenes. Although with minor hiccups, I can still definitely say that I highly enjoyed it as I couldn't bring myself to put it down. Without a doubt, I'll be eagerly waiting for another book from this author.

 Insidious is a standalone novel in a new series of Tales from the Dark Side.

No comments:

Post a Comment